Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mourning

Two nights ago at dinner we were talking about Sandy Hook. Kennedy wanted to pray for the families and teachers and everyone there. We prayed. Then we talked for a minute. And then my daughter looked at me and said:
It feels like just thinking about it is going to make me cry.
And for the 967,435 time since I became a dad, my kids taught/reminded me of something important.

Romans 12:15 tells us to, "mourn with those who mourn." I have spent far too little time since Friday letting the tragedy bring tears to my eyes. I have spent far too little time crying out to God for an end to the violence. But Romans 12 is clear. Being part of the Church means entering into others joy and sadness. 

God, I confess that I care way too much about my corner of the world and do not allow my heart to break with others hearts. Help me. And thanks for kids that show me who you are over and over again. Amen.

No comments: