Monday, March 25, 2013

Sabbatical Reflections: Week 1


For those of you who don't know, my church gives pastors the opportunity to take a sabbatical rest once every four years. It is a time to be away from the church and office and be near to God and family and learn new things. My sabbatical goes until June 16. I will record some reflections here each week.

In no particular order:
  • I really love my wife. It has been great getting to see her a whole bunch for the last week.
  • I live life just on the safe side of great because I'm afraid that maybe I'm not capable of greatness and know I am very capable of failure. Whew! God has been speaking to me about this for almost a year, but it really hit me this first week of sabbatical during some reading I'm doing. God, give me courage...
  • I am not God and I don't want to be God. But I do want to be his follower. I have more thoughts about this to share later this week or next.
  • I miss students and my volunteer leaders a ton. They are part of the rhythm of my normal life.
  • I spent a whole Sunday with my family. That hasn't happened in years. It was awesome to go into church together, sit together, eat lunch together and then spend the rest of the day together. And to not follow the KU game from my phone and actually get to watch it? That was great.
  • I'm not great at slowing down but still being productive. I tend to run at either all-out or veg-out. I'm hoping sabbatical helps me find the in-between. The first week was a fail. I walked around my house in circles. A lot. 
  • I was struck this week by what an enormous gift it is to spend a quarter of Langley's first year at home with her. I get to participate in the build towards a lot of "first's" in the next 3 months. I am really excited for that. 
  • And a cute picture of her since I talked about her:

No comments: