Monday, April 15, 2013

Brennan Manning- Love and Grace

One of my favorite authors, Brennan Manning, passed away on Friday. He was a man who seemed to know God's love and grace in immense ways. I learned a lot from his books over the last 13 or 14 years. His words forced me to consider a God actually loved me so much that he sent Jesus. Not in some theoretical way, but in the mess of my own life I found that God loved me deeply and wanted me to be near to him.
The 2nd chapter of "Abba's Child" about the imposter was literally life changing. I could own the lies that I was trying to tell myself and others and let them get lost while I got to know Jesus. I didn't have to be anything other than his beloved. I also learned much about what it means to listen to God and how to pray from Mannings writings.
I tried to pull some quotes from his books last night to share, but I have underlined so much of them that my list quickly started to become it's own book. So I will share two:
"John (the disciple) did not believe that Jesus was the most important thing; he believed that Jesus was the only thing."
"Jesus loves us as we are and not as we should be because none of us is as we should be."

No comments: