Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Voice of the Impostor

I have had trouble feeling inspired lately to write. So I haven't. I've slept in. I've read. I've found other things to do. And that is what it is. For me, here is the problem with not writing:

I have been listening to the voice.

I'm not talking about the Voice, God. I'm talking about the other one. The liar. The impostor. The voice that keeps telling me I'm not good enough and never will be. And I grab hold of that thought and hold on for dear life. That thought, though crushing, is safe. It keeps me from risk and hurt and really trying.

I am tired of safe and risk-free.
I am tired of trying to be good enough.
I am tired of listening to the voice.

The reality is that I don't have to be "good enough" at writing or youth pastoring or fathering or husbanding or whatever else. "Good enough" says I have to reach some magical number or mark before I am ok. God says something different.

He says He has loved me with an everlasting love.
He says that before I was formed He knew me.
He says that He loves me so much He would give His son for me.
He says that I am His and He is mine.
He says that I am loved so much that I am His adopted son and full heir to His kingdom.

He says nothing about me being good enough. He knows I'm not. That's why Jesus died for me. Because I am not good enough to make it on my own. I need God.

We each hear the voice that lies to us and tells us we are not good enough.We have to quit listening to it and listen to the God who loves us, know us, and wants to do beautiful things in and through us.

You are loved.
You are enough just as you are.
Tell the voice of the imposter to go away.

Where in your life do you need to quit listening to the voice?

No comments: