Thursday, September 6, 2012

What's in a Name?

I have had a few questions lately on where the name of the blog comes. I am hurt that those of you who don't know haven't read through my archives back to May of 2007 when I first posted about the name. But, I understand, I guess. 

The name is a from quote from "Reflections on the Psalms" by C.S. Lewis:
Meanwhile, of course, we are merely tuning our instruments. The tuning up of the orchestra can be itself delightful, but only to those who can, in some measure, however little, anticipate the symphony.
I try to live each day watching and remembering that the symphony is coming. The kingdom of God, in parts and pieces, is already here, but it has not fully arrived. The in-breaking of God's kingdom happens as the followers of God follow the example and way of Jesus in the world around them. 

This is the "tuning up". It can be overwhelmingly beautiful as we see God-sized, kingdom-full things happen in the broken world we inhabit. Yet I still long for the symphony: the instruments working together, perfectly following the conductor, creating a joyous and enormous movement of sound. 

May we be people who long for the kingdom of God and spend our lives bringing pieces of it to people here.

"Give me Christ or else I die!"

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for re-explaining, Jesse. I have followed your blog since 2007...but had forgotten the reason for your title. And......oh, how I anticipate and long for the symphony!!!