Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Jesus- Matthew 1-2

Back from the sickest I've been in a really long time... Ugh. Not something I hope to revisit, ever.

In our world it's easy to lose the picture of who Jesus is and was. I try to regularly read through a gospel and just let his life speak to me. This morning I started Matthew.

Obviously all these things that I notice carry my bias and 21st century, Anabaptist self with them, but I try to lay those down to whatever degree that is possible.

Here are some thoughts:
1:1-  Jesus is the Messiah and the son of kings and patriarchs
1:6- Jesus' ancestry is not perfect. It includes adulterers and murderers
1:19-21- Jesus had an earthly father with great amounts of faith and trust in God (Not sure an angel could have changed just anyone's mind about getting a divorce.)
1:23- Jesus name speaks to his purpose- "God with us"
2:1- Born in Bethlehem during the reign of King Herod
2:2- Even as a baby, he was worthy of worship.
2:7-8, 13-15- Herod wants to kill Jesus, because Jesus is a threat to his throne, his kingdom, his agenda. Jesus is still a threat to those things in every persons life, if he is allowed close enough.
2:23- He grew up in Nazareth.

I'd encourage you to get out your Bible, pick one of the stories about Jesus' life and see what you learn. I promise, if you take the time to read the Bible prayerfully and with a heart and mind open to the Holy Spirit, you will see new things about Immanuel.

No comments: