Friday, February 22, 2013

Paying Attention to the Right Thing

In Psalm 11:1, David starts by saying, "In the Lord I take refuge. How then can you say to me: 'Flee like a bird to your mountain?'"

David rests completely in the knowledge that if God is for him, then no one can stand against him and win. He knows that his enemies aren't who he should be paying attention to. I think we often approach our problems the opposite way. We say, "Look at my huge problem. How then can a I say, 'In the Lord I take refuge?'"

We live in a world of moments. Whatever is happening now is the most "whatever" of it's type. It is the most awesome, saddest, hardest, happiest, coolest, most aggravating, or best thing ever. Many times this approach to life and especially, to God, keeps us from living deeply in the assurance that He is our protector and He is all we need.

Today, follow the lead of David and tell your enemies, whatever they are, "I rest in God as my refuge, you have nothing to say to me."

I've shared this before, but I'll share it again. It is one of my favorite short prayers to pray throughout the day. Pray it as many times as it comes to mind. Pray it particularly when the enemy tries to whisper lies telling you to flee from God and the places God has led you to.
"Abba, I rest in You." 

No comments: