Thursday, October 18, 2007

Memorize It?

I just finished reading this post by Seth Godin about finding information. His basic argument is that it is more important to be able to process information to make good decisions than to just have everything memorized. And, in many ways I agree with him. Having so much information at our fingertips lets us not memorize nearly as many things as we used to. I have kids in the youth group who have to get out their cell phone to figure out what their home phone number is. If it's in their pocket, why memorize it? But, there is (at least) one BIG exception to this new world of just look it up when you need it. The Bible. We must memorize it, and not because it isn't easy to find online, it is. BibleGateway.com is one of my best friends, but memorizing Scripture is vital to our life as Christians. The Psalmist puts it this way:

I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:11

What are you memorizing?
What is being hidden in your heart?

2 comments:

Christopher said...

I agree whole-heartedly! My wife and I are memorizing Scripture books at a time. There has been such a blessing in it.

Unknown said...

Wow, it depends on the day.

About the adoption...

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I put my hope. ~Psalm 130:5

To my sometimes unruly children...

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ~Ephesians 6:1

And of course ...

For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son, that whoever should believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. ~John 3:16

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

It's too bad really that memorization gets lost, as adults, if you don't use it, you lose it. :)

A person I go to Bible study with said a couple of weeks ago, Go to the throne instead of the phone. I thought that was funny, its not in the Bible but it is something worth pondering and storing.