Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chick-fil-a and My Enemies

Apparently God has stirred something up in me this morning, because I feel the need to dust off the old blog! I post this today to challenge us to be drawn to prayer and deep thought. NOT to start some sweet old fashioned internet hate and anger. If you disagree with me, ok. Let's just disagree without throwing e-punches and fighting dirty.


As I've sat and watched the Chik-fil-a saga with growing weariness and frustration at every turn, I have been wondering about the response of the Church. Not of pastors or buildings, but of those who call themselves Christians. 


Maybe I should further clarify that to conservative, traditional marriage, chicken loving Christians.


Why is anyone who is in Christ up in arms over Chick-fil-a? Why is it a question of our freedom? Last I checked, it is Christ, not our government that has set us free (Galatians 5:1-It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.) My government can remove any right they want. It doesn't mean it's fair or that I like it. But it does not affect my freedom. Christ, and he alone, has loosed me from the yoke of slavery to the law and given me freedom.


A few more thoughts:
The Bible seems fairly clear to me on two things in this whole mess. 
1. How we are to treat our enemies:
Romans 12:17-21-

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary:“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;    if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

I think that says we should love our enemies and in so doing we show them Christ and help bring them toward repentance. Nothing about eating delicious chicken sandwiches as a form of protest. What if we we used all that chicken money today to love an "enemy"? What if we bought them lunch at a neutral (and local!) restaurant and had a conversation where we seek to hear them? Not the noise around it all or the media, but them. Their heart, their mind. I know it seems risky, but it is the call of Scripture.


2. The real enemy is not those who seek to change the definition of marriage.
Ephesians 6:12-
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities,against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Satan is not going to give up today because of the mass amount of chickens that are eaten. In fact, I think he celebrates that today we use chicken rather than love to try and show Jesus. 


PEOPLE THAT THINK DIFFERENTLY THAN YOU ARE NOT YOUR ENEMIES!!!


They may in fact be people that God has given you the opportunity to love. And to show the hope of the cross to. Satan and the powers of this world are where our battle lies. Don't believe for a second that it is drawn along lines of conservative/liberal, pro-gay law/anti-gay law, KU/KSU. It may feel like those are the important battles, but it is a great lie of Satan to get us to forget our first love, Christ, and his call to love.


Let our call today, and everyday, as those who love Jesus be, "Give me Christ, or else I die!" 


Or we can choose poultry to fight the wrong battle against the wrong enemy.

No comments: