Friday, August 10, 2012

Living Sacrifices


Romans 12:1-
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God- this is your spiritual act of worship.  
In the church today we have a lot of definition problems. I think we steal the meaning from lots of great, simple words. Words like "church" or "minister" or "awesome" or "prayer".

We most certainly do this with worship. Worship has come to be defined as the music that happens during the large group gatherings on the weekend. And we say to worship all week, but the experience we offer leads people to view K-Love as their best option for worship during the week. (I'm not saying anything bad about K-Love! I don't want to get all riled about it right now. Maybe later.)

But Romans 12:1 gives us a different picture. It says worship has nothing to do with stages or cool music (or organs or hymnals). It says that your worship is everything that you do with your body. 

Everything.

So when you brush your teeth, do it for God. (I don't know how to do that, so maybe there is something bigger than "do it for Jesus")

I think the key to our understanding what this verse says about worship are the words "offer" and "sacrifice". 

The goal isn't "brushing our teeth for the Lord, hallelujah". The goal is to make yourself available to be used by God for his kingdom at every moment of the day. And then to obey when he puts opportunities in front of you.

How is God calling you to worship today?

"Give me Christ or else I die!"

No comments: