Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Wisdom

As a note, I am typing this one-handed while my week-old daughter. So even though it won't take you any longer to read, please know it took a while to type!

Proverbs 1:20-33
Out in the open wisdom calls aloud, she raises her voice in the public square;
on top of the wall she cries out, at the city gate she makes her speech:
“How long will you who are simple love your simple ways?
How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge?
Repent at my rebuke! Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
I will make known to you my teachings.
But since you refuse to listen when I call
and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
since you disregard all my advice and do not accept my rebuke,
I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you;
I will mock when calamity overtakes you —
when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
when distress and trouble overwhelm you.
“Then they will call to me but I will not answer; they will look for me but will not find me, since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the Lord.
Since they would not accept my advice and spurned my rebuke,
they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.
For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them;
but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm.”
I think this passage is interesting because Wisdom states that it is waiting to be found by us. That she calls aloud and makes herself known to humanity, but many will choose not to listen. But when the hard times of life come, wisdom will mock us for not choosing to get to know her when times were easy.

Wisdom must be found before disaster strikes. It is meant to keep you out of trouble, not get you out of it! We have a tendency as humans to seek the "right way" or wisdom only when our way quits working. Listening to and gaining Godly wisdom means you have the ability to approach situations well and with Godly insight rather than human insight.

The great thing about wisdom is that it is available to you. Ask God for it. Listen to older men and women who have it. Ask questions, listen to answers, assume you always still have a lot to learn from everyone.

Where in life do you need wisdom right now?

"Give me Christ or else I die!"

No comments: