Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pride

Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
Oh pride. We have a love-hate relationship. I love you because I love to be reminded how awesome I am. Or how awesome I think I am. I hate you because you help me believe the lie that it is all about me instead of Jesus.

Every time that I start to listen to you, the line between people worshiping God and worshiping me gets a little blurred. The difference between the work of the Holy Spirit in a students life and my own wisdom and great pastoring skills get a little fuzzy in my own mind. 

You give me a wonderful warm fuzzy. Thanks. Now stop it.

Because I know. 

It's. All. A. Lie.

You don't love me. Not like Jesus does. You are not my hope and my future. Jesus is. I know you will stick around and keep whispering lies about how amazing I am. But I know the truth. Beauty and awe in a created thing brings glory to the creator, not the creation. And so I will do my best to not listen to your lies. 

If it's about me, then it's not about Jesus. And if it's not about Jesus, it's about nothing. 

"Give me Christ, or else I die."

No comments: